Monday, December 28, 2015

DO NOT GIVE UP

 December 28, 2015
The amount of cars I almost get run over by everyday is amazing. My angels are probably like "Hermana Israelsen is walking in the middle of the road again nose goes!"
On the bright side I managed to lose both my water bottle filters this week but then I found one of them again, then I lost that one again, but then I found it again!
My companion things I look like Miley Cyrus and the other day we were walking back from lunch but we have to climb this huge hill and everytime I just stare at the top like... dang it... So I started belting "The Climb," by Miley Cyrus. My companion was just laughing because I was getting so into it but then I had weirdly had a spiritual experience singing this song. Hahaha so the lyrics go "You may not know it but these are the moments that I'm going to remember most yeah just gotta keep going!" Seriously though how many days do you spend looking forward to the weekend or tomorrow or the next break from school. How many days do we spend looking forward to the next. In the mission it's easy to think "Ok, I just have to make it through this transfer or the first 6 months and then I will be happy." If we focus our time waiting for the "big" things to happen we miss out on all the little things. It's those little moments that make life so enjoyable. The note from your 5 year old kid that you need spell check or google translate to help you understand what on earth they wrote you?! It's that you came home and mom made your favorite dinner! Or the lady who bagged your groceries told you she liked your shoes. It's the little moments of every day that make you smile. THOSE are the moments that you are going to remember. Those little moments will one day become the BIG moments.
Have you ever had someone jump on your back and want a piggy back ride but you don't want to give them one so they are just awkwardly hanging on your neck because you will not grab their legs? This is how I feel everyday with Satan. He's like that annoying little kid who keeps jumping on your back and won't get off. Somedays I am so tempted to just give into his voice. Somedays I feel like I am just barely holding on. But the point is that YOU DO NOT GIVE UP! That little tiny voice that says "but what if it gets better?" LISTEN TO IT! HOLD ON TO THAT VOICE WITH ALL THAT YOU HAVE! Sometimes we just have to hold on tight and out last the Devil. At one point that annoying kid always gets bored and jumps off your back. Satan doesn't want us to pray because he knows it limits him. It's not about smiling 24/7 and pretending "everything is GREAT!" It's about having faith, hope, and finding the good in everyday. Writing down in your journal at night those little moments throughout the day that made you smile. I promise if you think really hard you laughed at least ONCE today!
"There's always going to be another mountain. You are always going to want to make it move. There is always going to be an uphill battle. Sometimes you're going to have to lose. Ain't about how fast you get there, it's about what is waiting on the other side. It's the CLIMB!" (I have this entire Hannah Montana song memorized but I can't remember to put my sweater on right side out?) It really is true hahaha I still can't believe I made something spiritual come out of this. Anyway it's not about winning the race it's about completing the race. It's about getting up every time you fall. It's about finding the tender mercy's in everyday and ALWAYS thanking Heavenly Father for the beautiful life you have been given even though it doesn't always seem so beautiful it is, you just have to look for it.
When times get tough BELT IT'S THE CLIMB by Miley Cyrus and imagine me sweating and climbing hills in Ecuador while my companion talks to me in Spanish and I pretend to understand "si si si" :)
Don't forget that you are NEVER ALONE!

Con amor, 

Hermana Israelsen

No comments:

Post a Comment