Monday, December 28, 2015

How Do We Handle Disappointment and Discouragement?


 December 7, 2015
This last Wednesday we called our Zone leaders to report our day when they asked my comp, "Are you guys going to find a new family tomorrow?" My comp said "yeah!" He asked for specifics, so I yelled "a family of 4! A mom, a dad, a son, and a daughter!" He asked, "who is older the son or daughter." I just yelled again, "uhh the DAUGHTER!" (I really was yelling). He said, "I can't wait to find out their name tomorrow."
My comp hung up the phone and we just looked at each other like uhh ok well let's start praying :) In the prayer I apologized for the randomness and should have counseled with him first but I believe in miracles!
The next day when we were contacting we found this guy. My comp asked how many people were in his family and he said 4! He said he has a son and daughter and then my comp asked which is older he said his daughter. We got his information and has an appointment scheduled 2 days later. We even fasted the day before the appointment to make sure all would go well!
I kept telling myself that miracles really do happen after a trial of our faith! The day arrived when we decided to call and verify the address a man answered the phone. I asked "is this Jose?" the guy who answered was like "no." Then he hung up. So I called again and asked "is this Jose?" and the guy said "no." Then he hung up again. I refused to believe this is how our MIRACLE would end so I called again. I said "Hi, this is the missionaries from the Church.." The dude hung up again.
You know that feeling when the waiter comes out with your food and it's just like PURE JOY!! And they are coming closer and closer and your mouth starts watering and all is right in the world. And they set it down at the table next to you and you're just like nooooo wait please stop that's mine!! But it's actually not yours... and you’re just like super sad. Or when you bring home leftovers from Texas Roadhouse because you ate 10 rolls waiting for your food to come and now that your food has come you're full so you bring it home and put it in the fridge to eat later. But then later you go to get your chicken tenders that you saved and wrote "DO NOT EAT!" all over the box and when you go to open the box there is like half a fry and the crumbs of the chicken and your just like "WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE!" Well the moment that we realized that guy, OUR GOLDEN family, gave us the wrong number it kind of felt like that.
So how do we handle disappointment and discouragement? How do we overcome frustrations within ourselves and within others? Why are we so quick to judge or to find fault in others? Why is it that when bad things happen to us we so quickly want to play the victim? We all want the same thing in this world. I mean isn't happiness a universal desire? Today we bought pizza because it's our last pday before changes. We were SO PUMPED to eat this pizza, and I obviously got a little too excited because I dropped it.. It landed face down on the road. And there were like 6 seconds where my eyes legit started to water. We spent 6 DOLLARS on this pizza and I was NOT going to let it go to waste. So I just started picking all of it up and putting it back in the box. My companion just looked at me like "what are you doing?" Then this lady who saw the entire thing happen starts telling us it was the evil spirits that made me drop the pizza but I was too focused on saving the rest of the pizza to listen to her talk about the evil spirits that forced me to drop our pizza.
We got back to the house and I started eating the pizza. My comp said "you're going to get sick!" and I said "no it's fine you just have to pick out the road it's still good." I have NO IDEA how but this little scenario made me think of our last week. Our individual lives are like the pizza. Sometimes we fall flat on our face or in this case dropped flat on our face. But instead of crying about it or complaining about it or giving up and seeing all the negative you can LAUGH pick out the chunks of tar and keep fighting! God doesn't give us trials and obstacles so we can sit and cry about them. He gives them to us because he knows and understands the JOY we will feel when we overcome them. So yeah missionary work is hard. Life is hard!!! Finding investigators is hard!! Staying active in the church, forgiving, repenting of our sins, being kind to others that hurt you it's ALL hard! But that's what makes life so precious. That's what makes all these moments leading up to the day when we are standing face to face with God and he asks us "how did you love me?" And we answer "I didn't give up. I never stopped fighting!"
Be a little kinder, a little more caring, and little more understanding. This life is easy for none of us. Not you, not me, and especially not for the beautiful pizza I dropped today on the street. But the bits of tar and rocks in the pizza I think gave it an extra kick. You are who you are because of what you have been through. You are someone great. When was the last time you looked in the mirror and smiled :)?
You my wonderful friends who are still reading this extremely long email are NOT ALONE!
Con amor,
Hermana Israelsen




No comments:

Post a Comment